nds-bootstrap is an application that allows the usage of Nintendo DS/DSi Homebrew and ROMs through the SD card of the Nintendo DSi/3DS, rather than through emulators or flashcarts.
In order to use this, you'll need to get a frontend:
- TWiLight Menu++ (recommended) is an open-source DSi Menu upgrade/replacement for DS/DSi/3DS.
- TWLoader is a discontinued 3DS frontend.
- nds-hb-menu is a 3DS frontend based off the Nintendo DSi homebrew menu.
nds-bootstrap supports most DS ROMs, with a few exceptions. You can enhance your gaming experience with cheats and faster load times than general cartridges (for games that support those features). Game saving is supported too and will be saved in the .sav extention.
Anti-Piracy patches can be loaded via IPS files, but they are not included inside the software itself.
nds-bootstrap also supports many homebrew applications, including games like DSCraft.
B4DS (nds-bootstrap for DS-mode flashcards) only supports some DS ROMs. You can increase compatibility, by inserting a DS Memory Expansion Pak.
- Download the .7z file.
- Extract both .nds files, to sd:/_nds.
- Extract the .ver file to sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu.
Credits: ahezard, Gericom, Apache Thunder, RocketRobz, _catcatcat, shutterbug2000, damianoamatruda, and arraystock.
Que novedades incluye la versión 0.35.1
- The FAT table has been relocated from DSi WRAM to Main RAM.
- This removes the need to reboot in DSiWarehax, after creating the FAT table.
- Also works around a mirroring bug in DSi WRAM, and allows running games with DSiWarehax without saving the FAT table cache.
- mpuInitOffset is now cached. This should improve boot times slightly.
Bug fixes (B4DS)
- Fixed Pokemon Gen 4 compatibility.
- FAT table has been moved forward by 8KB, so it is not overwriting DTCM.
What's new? (B4DS)
- A lot more games are now compatible!
- For certain THUMB game titles, you'll need a Donor ROM for it's respective SDK version.
- If using TWiLight Menu++, if a Donor ROM isn't set, it'll tell you if the game needs one, when launching.
- ROMs that are either 256MB or 512MB, no longer need a Memory Expansion Pak to run.
- This means that those ROMs can now be played on a DSi or 3DS as well!
- NOTE: A Memory Expansion Pak is still required for some AP-fixes (those that take place in the overlays) to work.
- Fixed Region 2 MPU patching.
- This achieves the above feature.
- Soft-reset has been implemented... sort of!
- When triggering a soft-reset, the console will shut down, and you'll need to boot TWiLight Menu++ again to continue.
- An SDK2 Donor ROM is now required for Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training - Eigo Zuke to boot.
- ROMs such as Nintendogs, Sonic Rush, and some other late-SDK2 ones, can be set as Donor ROM.
- DS WiFi mode is now set when booting in DS mode.
- Fixes Wireless errors for DSiWarehax users.
- Soft-reset is now implemented for Bust-A-Move DS.
- Remember when we needed a Mario Kart DS ROM for SDK3-4 games to work or save?
- The ROM acted as a Donor ROM, and what that means, is that nds-bootstrap grabs the donor's arm7 binary, replacing the original ROM's arm7 binary, in order for the save patches to work, and there was a few side effects as a result.
- Considering that we implemented more save patches, why am I talking about this? Because guess what?
- The Donor ROM feature is back!
- Why, you may ask? Because there's a few SDK5 games that still don't boot, because the save patches aren't working for those games, and it is unknown why.
- Now that we re-added Donor ROMs, these games will now successfully boot:
- -Anpanman to Touch de Waku Waku Training
- -Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Japanese version of Professor Layton and the Specter)
- -Mimi's Party Fun
- -and around 30-ish more... (and no, this doesn't include Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)
- Unlike last time, where you just needed to set Mario Kart DS as a Donor ROM, you can now set any regular SDK5 DS game as a Donor ROM!
- (Thanks to RetroGameFan for the arm7 replacement discovery!)
- .ini parameter: DONOR_NDS_PATH = pathOfNdsFile
- WarioWare: DIY and Jam with the Band no longer shows An error has occurred.
- B4DS: Heap is now always shrunk by 16KB for 64MB ROMs or lower.
- Does not apply to users with the Memory Expansion Pak.
- Fixed Tony Hawk's American Sk8land regression.
- Fixed non-working touch input in Super Mario 64 DS (U) v1.0.
- Fixed sound in games that use thumb arm7 code (such as Kirby: Canvas Curse, Diddy Kong Racing DS, etc).
- Applies to DSiWarehax and forced DSi mode.
- Fixed L+R+DOWN+B restarting the game on DSi, instead of exiting.
What's new? (DSi/3DS)
- Added back the option to load 12MB (DSi) or 28MB (3DS) ROMs into RAM.
- While the feature to load 8MB (DSi) or 24MB (3DS) ROMs into RAM was included for a while, this option increases the ROM space in RAM.
- Setting in .ini file: EXTENDED_MEMORY
- NOTE: Setting it to 2 will expand the space 512KB more (not tested thoroughly), but will break Download Play functionality, even for games that don't use cloneboot.
- Language is now read from TWLCFG!
- The card engine arm9 code is now loaded in the first 16KB of RAM, for games that leave it unused.
- For early SDK2 games, it's loaded somewhere after the arm7 binary in RAM.
- This improves load times in Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and a few others, without the need for heap shrink.
- Game compatibility has increased! More games now boot, such as:
- -Marvel Trading Card Game
- -Minna no Mahjong DS (does not work in B4DS)
- -Nacho Libre
- -Giana Sisters (EUR)
- -Lola & Virginia
- -and more!
- (Thanks to RetroGameFan for the feedback!)
- DSi/3DS: Models are no longer corrupted in Diddy Kong Racing!
- DSi/3DS: If you're running nds-bootstrap in DSiWarehax, it'll now reboot, after creating the FAT table.
- This works around a crash, when launching a game for the first time.
- CACHE_FAT_TABLE needs to be set to 1 for the game to boot.
- DMA reads have reverted back to CPU-based reads, due to an unexpected bug.
- This causes lags in some games.
- DSi: Bothered by seeing white lines over your screens when pressing POWER, soft-resetting, or exiting back to TWLMenu++?
- nds-bootstrap will instead now instantly make both screens white, where the white lines are now less visible!
- When soft-resetting, the nds-bootstrap logo will now not be shown, if saving FAT table cache is turned off.
- This does not apply to forced soft-resets.
- Fixed some games triggering a forced reboot when holding L+R+START+SELECT, such as MegaMan Zero Collection.
- Instead, you can now force a soft-reset by holding L+R+START+SELECT for 2 seconds, for games that don't reset with that button combo.
- In hopes of fixing corruption bug for SD cards above 32GB, NDMA is no longer used for reading the existing FAT table cache.
What's new?/Bug fix
- After 2 long years, proper soft-reset implementation has finally come!
- Access Minigames in NSMB, Battle Mode in Bomberman 2, London Life in Professor Layton and the Specter, and more!
- Other soft-reset events, such as exiting WiFi settings, as well as returning to title screen, have been fixed.
- An external soft-reset backend ID can be read at sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/srBackendId.bin, whenever a soft-reset event triggers. It contains the 8-byte TID that can be found in DSiWare-type titles, at 0x230.
- This is added by any forwarder for 3DS consoles.
- 3DS: Chances of resetting or returning to TWLMenu++ failing, has been lowered.
- If you're an O3DS user, chances are the same as before.
- DSi: HiyaCFW is no longer required to reset your game.
- Fixed Infinite Space not booting.
- B4DS: Fixed Plants vs Zombies not booting.
- Wii connectivity with Gen 4 Pokémon titles still doesn't work.
- This bug is not related to soft-reset.
- Fixed a long-standing bug where E-type cheats wouldn't work, as well as making a game not start!
- (Special thanks to @ahezard!)
- Fixed FAT table cache still being created and/or read, even when turned off.
- The E type still doesn't work 100%.
- Fixed a regression bug that broke Pokemon Black 2/White 2, and some other SDK5 THUMB games.
- Add option to read/write FAT table cache.
- Setting: CACHE_FAT_TABLE, default: 0 (Off)
- Added support for a bit more DSi-Enhanced games, such as Daniel X: The UItimate Power! (Untested)
- Reverted FAT table cache size to 512KB. This should fix issues with some files in the ROM not being read.
- B4DS: Increase game compatibility by using the DS Memory Expansion Pak!
- This makes some games such as FabStyle, Pokemon B/W 1&2, Pokemon Conquest, Professor Layton 3 and 4, and Transformers Prime, work in B4DS, as well as applying AP fixes to overlay areas.
- DSi: The DMA ROM read LED can now be changed separate from the regular ROM read LED.
- hb: Added RAM disk templates for SMS and GG ROMs.
- Loading speeds have once again been improved.
- In some instances, it's faster than regular cart speeds!
- More DMA card read improvements!
- cardSetDma is now patched, instead of cardReadDma.
- Wario: Master of Disguise now boots!
- Tony Hawk's American Sk8land no longer crashes randomly.
- Fixed compatibility for Tetris DS (Korea).
- Fixed top screen going black for non .nds files.
- B4DS: The log file is now made, when logging is enabled.
- libeasysave is now used for reading nds-bootstrap.ini.
- As a result, files with ; in it's name, will now work.
- Added support for Nintendo DS Browser, by emulating the Memory Expansion Pak, using the extra RAM of the DSi or 3DS!
- Before the game boots, a message is now shown, when creating a RAM dump or FAT table file, if not created already.
- Fixed .nds only being replaced for the .bin filenames.
- DSi: Removed ROM loading into RAM, for SDK5/TWLSDK games, as they were broken in the last release.
- DSi: If the overlay size exceeds the RAM size, they are no longer loaded into RAM, before game boot.
- Fixes Lunar Knights.
In Nintendo DS Browser, sleep mode does not work, and attempting to enter sleep mode will power on/off the screens in a loop.
- Now confirmed working on CycloDS iEvolution, with DSi mode set in CycloDSi settings!
- You can also run DSi-Enhanced games in DS mode, without switching back to DSL mode in CycloDSi settings.
- DLDI driver is no longer re-inited, when booting a game.
- This should fix support for Acekard 2i.
- DSi/3DS SD card: You can now dump the RAM!
- To do so, hold L+R+DOWN+A for 2 seconds. The sound (and maybe game) will pause during dumping.
- The dump will be at sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/.
- The cardEngine arm7 binary is now loaded in main RAM for DSiWarehax users running SDK5/TWLSDK games.
- Improves chances of SDK5 games booting.