El reproductor multimedia más popular para PS3.
- Local file system
- On PS3 and RPi external USB drives (including NTFS) are automounted with read/write support
- Reads content and can play files from compressed ZIP and uncompressed RAR archives
- SMB / CIFS - "Windows shares"
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Torrent client - can directly play audio/video file over bittorrent protocol as well as browsing the torrent file and playing torrent files via magnet links
- HTTP - direct file playing over HTTP/HTTPS protocols
- HLS - HTTP Live Streaming. For multi bit rate streams Movian will select optimum stream based on available bandwidth. Streams with internal as well as external multitrack audio are supported.
- RTMP - Streaming protocol used for Flash players.
- HTSP - Streaming of Live TV from Tvheadend
- Icecast / Shoutcast
Movian supports plugins installed from a centralized repository. Some of the more popular plugins are Youtube, Navi-X, Twitch.tv, Opensubtitles, SVT Play.
Plugins are, by default, automatically upgraded when a new version is available.
Searching using the toolbar on the home page will search in all installed plugins that support searching.
In-application automatic upgrades.
On PS3, Mac OS X and RPi Movian can upgrade itself. In addition, on RPi it can also upgrade the entire STOS operating system.
The user can select to upgrade form three different tracks (In Settings -> General):
- Stable - Most stable version.
- Testing - Upgraded approximately bi-weekly depending on changes made and risk for severe bugs in the master branch.
- Bleeding Edge - Tracks master branch. Every commit made by the development team is a new release. Could be very unstable from time to time.
- All formats supported by libav can be played. For instance, MKV, MOV, AVI, M2TS, etc. Currently Movian uses libav version 11.
- See libav's list for supported video decoders
- See libav's list for supported audio decoders
- In addition to this Movian can also play various game music formats (not available on all platforms)
Hardware accelerated video decoding
- PS3: Accelerated H.264 (up to level 4.2), MPEG-2. PS3's cell codecs do not support hardware accelerated playing of: HEVC/H265, H264 profile > 4.2, H264 High 10 (10bit), VP6, VP8, VC1/WMV9. Movian tries to play those anyway (ie decodes by using CPU). But the success varies to sound only or blackscreen when reframes/resolution are high.
- RPi: Accelerated H.264 High 10 Profile (up to level 5.0), MPEG-4 (DivX, XviD), MPEG-2 (needs license), VC-1 (needs license). GPU accelerated VP6, VP8 (SD resolutions only), MJPEG, Ogg Theora (up to 720p)
- Linux: Accelerated H.264 using VDPAU (NVIDIA cards only)
- OS X: Accelerated H.264
- PS3: Multi channel audio streams are re-encoded to 6 or 8 channel DTS/AC3 or whatever end device supports (Limitation of PS3 LV2 operating system)
- Linux: Digital passthrough of DTS, AC3, E-AC3. For PCM output up to 32 bit 192kHz is supported depending on source content. Discrete multi channel output is also supported.
- RPi: Pass thru over HDMI. Or software decoded 8 or 2 channel PCM output.
- Other: Stereo output, multichannel audio is down-mixed.
Built-in metadata lookup
- Artist and Album graphics are looked up using last.fm
- Movie metadata (including posters) are looked up via themoviedb.org
- TV shows (including posters) are looked up via thetvdb.org
- Metadata lookup can be turned on/off per folder. (Default on)
- Options exist for user to choose if multiple results are available. A custom search query can also be entered.
Supported subtitle formats (External files)
- DVD Subtitles and VOBSUB
- SUB (Microdvd)
- Automatic code page detection using language heuristics
- On the fly decompression of .zip files and .gz files containing subtitles
- Built in HTTP server available on port 42000. Currently this is mostly used for diagnostics and has HTTP control API.
- Built in FTP server. This is default disabled but can be enabled in Settings -> Network
- RPi (STOS) has included SSH server which can be enabled/disabled from Movian UI.
- RPi (STOS) has included Avahi service which allows to discover devices running Movian by using DNS name movian.local