Rufus is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
- Format USB, flash card and virtual drives to FAT/FAT32/NTFS/UDF/exFAT/ReFS
- Create DOS bootable USB drives, using FreeDOS or MS-DOS (Windows 8.1 or earlier)
- Create BIOS or UEFI bootable drives, including UEFI bootable NTFS
- Create bootable drives from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.)
- Create bootable drives from bootable disk images, including compressed ones
- Create Windows To Go drives
- Download official Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows 10 retail ISOs
- Compute MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksums of the selected image
- Twice as fast as Microsoft's USB/DVD tool or UNetbootin, on ISO -> USB creation (1)
- Perform bad blocks checks, including detection of "fake" flash drives
- Modern and familiar UI, with 39 languages natively supported
- Small footprint. No installation required.
- 100% Free Software (GPL v3)
by Pete Batard.