Developing file systems is a challenging proposition. Developing file systems for Windows is an order of magnitude more difficult. WinFsp attempts to ease the task of writing a new file system for Windows in the same way that FUSE has done so for UNIX.
Some of the benefits of using WinFsp are listed below:
- Very well-tested and stable. Read about its Testing Strategy.
- Very fast. Read about its Performance.
- Strives for compatibility with NTFS. Read about its Compatibility.
- Easy to understand but comprehensive API. Consult the API Reference.
- FUSE compatibility layer for native Windows and Cygwin.
- Signed drivers provided on every release.
- Available under the GPLv3.