Free Memory Card Boot (FMCB) is a homebrew software which is designed to setup your PlayStation 2 console and provide you with a means of launching homebrew software, without the need for any extra hardware, modifications to your console or dangerous tricks like the legendary swap trick.
What does FMCB v1.9 offer?
For mere humans:
- *Smaller, faster and more stable. :P
- *The HDD unit is now supported.
- *The "Early Japanese"/PCMCIA units (SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000 and SCPH-18000) are fully supported.
- *Chinese consoles are now supported (e.g. SCPH-50009).
- *When you leave the CD/DVD tray ejected, FMCB/FHDB will not stall.
- *Your play history will now be updated (The towers in the background of the "Sony computer entertainment" screen should continue to grow taller and greater in numbers)
- *Initialization code has been cut down.
- *Some IRX modules (init.irx and chkesr.irx) have been removed (superceded by code that runs from the EE, like their Sony originals).
- *DVD player selection code has been replaced with one similar to the one used by Sony.
- *The console initialization code has been replaced with a Sony-like version.
- *CNF parsing code has been optimized.
- *The memory map has been adjusted slightly, so everything now fits below Sony's idea of "user memory" (below 0x00100000).
- *Support for the Protokernel and all HDD OSDs have been added.
- *(For the HDDOSD version of FMCB only) ELFs can be booted from any partition on the HDD. The format of the path is :. (e.g. hdd0:__sysconf:Pfs:/FMCB/FMCB_configurator.elf).
- This can be easily set using the included FMCB/FHDB configurator.
- *The CD/DVD drive will now be stopped if a normal ELF is started (Under the assumption that most homebrew ELFs probably won't ever use the drive).
- *The user's history file (the file which affects the towers within the "Sony Computer Entertainment" startup screen) will now be updated whenever Playstation/Playstation 2 game/software discs are launched, as well as DVD video discs.
- *Reloading the OSD from within the OSD triggers a full reload of FMCB, because I felt that it'll be cleaner.
- *The location of ESR will now be checked only when ESR is requested to be loaded.
- *The embedded EELOAD module has been cleaned up, and loads at 0x00082000 instead (Like rom0:EELOAD does).
- *FMCB has been split into two. The part of FMCB which remains resident will be copied into its place during runtime, allowing the initialization part of it to have the entire PlayStation 2 for initialization and drawing something nice on the screen (Not done at the moment as it makes FMCB quite a fair bit larger).
- *Full support for the SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000. Not only will it patch up the SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000 kernels fully (Applies OSD argument-passing patch), it also includes its own HDD support modules and can act as a replacement for the Sony system driver update.
- *Prototype support for the PSX. Its OSD is not supported, meaning that there will be no hacked OSD for the PSX.
- *Supports non-Sony HDD units (Support for non-Sony HDD units within the HDD OSD/browser v2.00 update depends on the HDD OSD itself).
- *New FMCB configurator program which supports the HDD unit.
- *Added support for the Chinese consoles (Magicgate region 09, folder letter C. e.g. SCPH-50009).